Whenever you face sewage backup condition, you need to act very quickly as it can cause serious health problems to your family particularly to your young children or elderly members, who may be suffering from asthma or having very weak immune system.
For proper sewage cleanup, it is necessary that you must immediately contact any plumber or any other specialists who know how to handle such sewage problem.
If the problem is quite small in nature, then perhaps with DIY method, you can restore the condition however under following few conditions, you must seek professional help.
- If sewage has already flooded into multiple rooms
- If the spill is because of septic tank backup or sewer
- If the spill that has happened before 24 hours or more
- If your family have certain health concerns which can increase the risk of infection
Normally, sewage damage is considered to be the most dangerous kind of water cleanup. There is always a possibility of any blood-borne pathogens and also other contaminants can be high.
Following are few basic instructions to handle sewage water loss. Therefore, it will be necessary that technician must take any certification course like water restoration technology prior to attempting such type of cleanup of water damage.
Following are few recommendations for sewage cleaning.
- All occupants must either leave or vacate the space.
- Try to inspect/identify possible hazards which may be present in the environment. Also, identify whether electricity can also be a hazard, if there are certain health or safety hazards in your affected area.
- All technicians should use right personal protective equipment. Each technician must work with proper protection for skin, use hand protection by using gloves, wear goggles, and also respirators. Cover your top with coveralls and one should wear rubber boots.
- Try to repair and eliminate all sources of sewage and water.
- You need to set up suitable containment for limiting the risk of all secondary damages to all unaffected areas.
- Try to pump out all the water and also sewage. Also, check with your local authorities to identify whether there is any kind of restrictions about the disposal of all these materials.
- Decide whether it is possible to decontaminate all materials or they can be replaced or removed.
- Check all your HVAC systems for damage and decide what type of cleaning and repairs is needed to all those systems.
- Try to use pump-up sprayer or apply water damage pre-cleaner to all areas. This can help in treating any dangerous bacteria which might have got into the environment.
- Also, remove various unsalvageable materials present in the space like pad, carpet, affected drywall etc. that have got contaminated. Take precaution while removing contaminated materials for ensuring that cross contamination may not take place.
- Dry all the areas as per requirements.
- After drying, do proper treatment of all salvageable items which will remain with thorough cleaning and followed by post clean.
- Few hard surface items, like sub flooring, studs and joists must be treated with certain preventative coatings.
- Repair and reinstall all items and areas which have been cleaned or sealed.